Friday, March 27, 2009

So Proud of ME




I am so proud of myself. I have been having some car trouble of late, and after very little thought a a little observation I realized that I needed a new battery. So thanks Mom and Dad for helping me get that taken care of. Now back to my story.

It all started this morning, after very little sleep last night I got up at 4 am and headed to work for a short shift this morning. I got off at 1030 and headed to an undisclosed location to get the battery in my car replaced. Mom was taking care of getting purchased while I was driving to the store. I got there and it was taking longer that Mom and I had thought it would so I decided to walk to Mrs. Powells for some breakfast while I waited. I ate and then headed back to the store. When I got there somehow there was still a problem with the purchase and I told the guy that I had some other things to get done and gave him my phone number to call me when it was all taken care of and I would be back. Well I never did hear back from the guy. I had to be back at the airport 2 for the rest of my work day. So I called Mom and talked to her and Dad got on the phone trying to figure out why it was taking so long to get this all worked out. Well needless to say, Dad took care of the problem and I got a call a few minutes later from the guy that I had talked to earlier that I could stop by whenever and they would install it for me.

So I had a break from work at 530 and headed back to the store. I got there and the guy told me that it was going to be at least an hour wait for them to install it. At this point I was getting mad because I had already spent and hour there this morning and now I was back and they wanted me to spend more time and if they had known what they were doing in the first place I would not have had to make two trips. So I told the guy to just put it in my back seat and I would take care of it myself. So he apologized to me and loaded the battery into my car. He refunded the cost of the installation that they had charged my mom, and I left. I got back to work and thought that I would talk one of the guys into changing the battery out for me, but I didn't have any tools and he was shocked...... I don't know why..... I do have them but I do not keep them in my car. So I made a decision, I was going to do it myself... and I DID IT. I got home from work about 10pm and pulled my car into the garage where I figured it out all by myself and changed the battery. I know to some this seems like a little victory but for me it was pretty big. I am pretty good and doing most of the things that I set my mind to and I have been given a lot of knowledge by my dad to be able to take care of the little things to do with taking care of a car, but I usually let him do it or I pay someone else to do it just so that I don't have to worry about it. So I changed my first car battery without even having to call for help. It is a good feeling to be able to take care of those kind of things myself. I feel great about my independence. Thanks Dad for teaching me all that you have and for giving my self confidence to take on the tasks that even if I have not done it before I can figure it out on my own and it will be okay. Now I know that I will sleep better not having to wonder if my car will start when I have to leave for work or wonder if I am going to be able to find someone to jump start my car when it won't start.

3 comments:

Mamma Meg said...

Wow! I really am impressed. Good for you!

Linsey said...

Wow! I know I couldn't change the battery. I think, after being shown SEVERAL times I could jump my car now. Maybe not. I have a different car now. :) I'm kind of car stupid. When my oil light came on when I was driving, I called my pop-in-law to remind me how much oil to put in it. (Jarom was at work and unreachable.)

Natalie said...

Wooo-hooo! That's awesome! That's something every girl should know how to do...guess I'd better learn, too! Mmmm. Mrs. Powells. Oh my gosh, I miss those cinnamon rolls!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers